Public Notices

      The Impact of Sleep on Mood and Mental Well-Being

Science has confirmed that sleep has a significant impact on our mood and mental well-being. Check out this guide to learn more about the relationship between sleep, mood, and mental well-being and for tips to improve your sleep and put you on the right track to feeling healthier, happier, and well-rested.


ew Immunization Laws for School, Child Care, and Early Childhood Programs 

On Sept. 1, 2014, changes to the Minnesota’s Immunization Law will take effect for schools, child care, and early childhood programs. The changes were made to be more closely aligned with the current Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendations. Medical and conscientious exemptions are still allowed under the law.

New vaccines requirements include: 

·         Hepatitis B – For all children over 2 months old enrolled or enrolling in child care or an early childhood program.

·         Hepatitis A - For all children over 12 months old enrolled or enrolling in child care or an early childhood program.

·         Tdap - For all students entering seventh grade. Students in eighth through 12th grade must show documentation if the school requests it. This replaces the Td immunization requirement.

·         Meningitis (meningococcal) - For all students entering seventh grade. Students entering eighth through 12th grade must show documentation if the school requests it.

For more detail on all the changes to the law, see the attached fact sheet or visit the MDH website at   If you have questions on the immunization law change you may contact your school nurse or Countryside Public Health at 320-269-2174.

Youth Suicide Prevention is Everyone's Business!

Talking to your Kids About Suicide...

For Parents-Important Things to Remember...

For more resources and information...

In a Crisis Situation...take the individual to the Hospital Emergency Room or call Law Enforcement.

Mental Health support services, resources and referral information are available at your child's school. Please call....
Montevideo High School: 320-269-6446: Melea Ellingson, Licensed School Counselor, Ext. 1174; Kathy Ward, School Social Worker, Ext. 1176
Montevideo Middle School: 320-269-6431: Todd Swedzinski, School Social Worker, Ext. 2160; Susan Marcinkowski, School Social Worker, Ext. 2196
Ramsey Elementary School: 320-269-6584: Charlynn Dahl, School Social Worker, Ext. 4219
Sanford Education Center: 320-269-6538: Kris Kirkeby, School Social Worker, Ext. 3263

Nicole Redmann, School Psychologist, 320-269-6431, Ext. 2177

Woodland Centers Crisis Number: 1-800-992-1716

Treating Depression is Suicide Prevention!

To view helpful resources on cope with loss, death and grief, click on the following links:



The Montevideo PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association)  has been connecting parents/guardians to their children's education for more than 100 years. Montevideo Public Schools have had an active PTSA in the past, and we invite you to be a part of making the PTSA active again in our schools. We realize that everyone has responsibilities that fill up their time - we do not expect a huge time commitment from volunteers. An hour can be a big help to our group and the school, and we have ideas, tasks and positions to fit all schedules and interests. You don't even have to come to the school or attend a meeting to be involved, although it would be really great to see you in person!  We promise that the time and talents you give to our group and to the school will be worth your while.

Everyone is invited to join the PTSA: moms, dads, teachers, principals, students, aunts, uncles, grandparents, caregivers, business people, and community members. Monthly meetings will be held the last Tuesday of every month at the Montevideo Middle School Library at 7:00 p.m. Please don't wait to join. We need your help now!  Feel free to call Kris Christopherson, (320-669-1192) or e-mail, with any questions and/or suggestions.


Information Provided by Mid-Minnesota Legal Assistance Tax Law Project


You may be able to claim a state tax credit or subtraction for costs related to your child’s education. This covers children in kindergarten through high school. The maximum credit is $1,000 per child and eligibility is based on your family’s income. Anyone can take the subtraction regardless of income.

To claim the credit or subtraction save receipts for your children’s school supplies, including pencils, pens, crayons, notebooks, calculators, etc. You can also claim expenses for things like: tutors, academic text books, fees paid to others for transportation, music lessons, after school academic programs and academic summer camps. Additionally you can claim the cost of computer hardware and educational software (up to $200).

To claim the credit you will need to fill out Schedule M1ED with your Minnesota State Tax Form, to take the subtraction use the worksheet on the back of Form M-1.

Remember you MUST save the receipts from your purchases to the claim the credit or subtraction.

For additional information and a more detailed list of what expenses can be claimed go to the Minnesota Department of Revenue website